Sunday, October 19, 2008

October Break (very original title I know)



Here’s a recap of my mini October break camp:

Thursday morning I awoke to a steady driving rain, it was a little hard to motivate myself to get out of my warm comfortable bed. Eventually I worked my way up to Prospect where I did 4 x 7 min. ski walking intervals with 15 15 30 second bounds before and after. After the workout I was soaked, but it was nice to talk to Steve (the owner of Prospect) he’s done quite a bit of work on the trails this summer. In addition, they are apparently getting a really expensive groomer so there should be some sweet skiing there over Christmas break. In the afternoon it was back out into the rain for an hour of double pole. That night my mom made Swedish meatballs, kind of like Dana’s Larson’s meatballs, just two times as good.

Friday the weather was much nicer I awoke to the news that the Red Sox won. I know, I know, I shouldn’t have shut off the game when they were loosing 7-0, I couldn’t stand it anymore. Regardless it was some pretty exciting news to wake up to. I was out the door shortly after for a run on one of my favorite loops that winds through the back roads of Shaftsbury. It was really nice, 45 degrees, sunny, leaves turning, very pretty. Thursday afternoon I did an hour skate roll with 30 minutes of no pole, I was a little tired but it was still a good workout.

Saturday I was supposed to meet Colin, a high school friend/skier, for a roller ski up Woodford Mountain. Unfortunately, my alarm on my phone either didn’t go off or didn’t wake me up and I woke up at 7:05, 5 minutes after I was supposed him to start skiing. After rushing over there I began the accent up the mountain. I went out a little too fast trying to catch up to Colin as I felt bad for being late. The steep part of the climb was difficult after the fast start, but the view at the top was pretty sweet. The sun was just coming over the top of the frosted mountain and it was a brisk 27 degrees. Saturday afternoon I did some strength but more importantly it was time for apple cider making. A bunch of friends and I have been doing this for the past few years. We fill the back of my truck full of apples (my old ski coach owns an orchard) and then we spend most of the day pressing the apples. We ended up with about 30 gallons of sweet apple cider.


Sunday I was out for a 3 hour skate roller ski. Colin came with me for some of it and I finished it by myself. It was another nice day, cold when I started, warm and sunny by the end. Anyway I should be doing work rather than doing this. But I'm also watching the Red Sox get back to the World Series so we'll see how the work goes... Go Sox!

No comments: