Friday, May 15, 2009

More Skiing

I think the last time I skied in any form this spring was an epic trip to Haystack Mountain at the end of March or in early April. I decided have one more go at it with a trip to Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington, probably my favorite place to ski. It also gave me a chance to try out carrying skis with the new team backpacks, which worked out pretty well, but my shoulders are kinda sore now. Compared to last year, there were really only a few options for continuous skiing and a lot more crevasses and rocks. I went for left gully first, which proved to not have a whole lot of snow and was a little more terrifying than I thought it would be. I tried the chute next, which is the next obvious ski run over from left gully. The snow cover was good all the way from the top and the skiing was great despite being really soft. It was good enough in fact, that I turned around and went right back up again and fortunately only had to share the run with a handful of other people. I managed to get a pretty good burn on my forehead as I forgot to put sun screen there and was wearing my hat backwards, which left a funny burn line. Not quite like Adam's Stowe adventure, but just the sort of fun I'm looking for before I get back to work training (I did rollerski this week, though). I'm off to British Columbia next week with my glacial geology class, then up to the county to train with MWSC, then off to North Dakota for a geology project. Hopefully I'll find time to do the presidential traverse with the sluski crew. We've been talking about it for a while and I want to see it happen. Its gonna be a busy summer and I feel like I'll back at school before I know what happened.

No comments: