Monday, June 29, 2009

Sicilian Snow in June

It was on a Sugarloaf chairlift this March that I started to tell someone that I skied at St. Lawrence, before quickly correcting myself.
“Actually, I used to ski for SLU,” I stuttered, my last season having come to an end the day before. I have since slowly gotten used to the reality of the statement, but while my career may be over SLUski certainly hasn’t left me yet, and hopefully it won’t for many years to come!


That said, I couldn’t resist the temptation to leave a little SLUski shout-out when near the top of the volcanic Mt. Etna in Sicily, Italy two weeks ago. A fellow ’09 grad and I saw piles of white stuff on our way up, but thinking snow was impossible we were unsure what it actually was. The temps at the bottom of the mountain were 30C, although at the top it was considerably cooler, and we thought the black, volcanic rock would prove inhabitable for the snow under what my skin certainly found to be a very strong sun. But it was!
As it turns out, not only can you ski the volcano and its lava flows during the winter, snow lasts straight through June. So she and I constructed a little tribute to SLUski.

Happy Summer from a still snowy Sicily!

No comments: