Saturday, September 13, 2014

Team Post: Isaac Wright builds the trails he trains on

By Isaac Wright '18

Greetings family, friends, alumni, and teammates.  My name is Isaac Wright and I am a freshman on the Nordic team. 

A little about myself:  This past summer I worked at Pine Hill Park, a local mountain biking/hiking trail system, helping to build new trails and help fix things up too. Of course I also spent a lot of time ski training too! I was lucky enough to have some nice roads for roller skiing, trails for running, and other training facilities and events that I was able to go to. 

Trail work at Pine Hill Park 
(this was going to be a gem but my eyes are closed, oops)

A big part of my summer however involved me and my family (I am one of four kids) moving from Rutland, Vermont to Amherst, Massachusetts. I am sure that I will deeply miss my home venue, Mountain Top Inn and Resort, but hey maybe an Eastern Cup will be held there very soon, fingers crossed!

We soon realized that we were going to need another truck

I enjoy being outside, hanging out, going off ski jumps and you might even see me with a lacrosse stick shooting around. I don’t know if I should put this next one in but, an extreme hobby that I love to do is freestyle skiing. This past winter I bought a pair of twin tips skis and was “hooked”. Every chance I got I was outside going off a jump or sliding a rail. And when summer rolled around I found a way to even “train” for that too. Of course I will have to take a break from this though because as athletes we shouldn’t be doing anything other than our sport during the season right?

How I ski in summer!

So far SLU has been awesome and I can’t wait for the season to actually start!


Here are some pictures of how I spent my summer. Enjoy!

A volunteer and I clean out a water drain
Laying down some rocks
The final product!




No comments: