Thursday, October 16, 2014

Report from Morgan in New Zealand

By Morgan Holland '16

Hello all! While the rest of the team was busy training back in the states I decided to take advantage of an opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand. Before leaving I did some research into the skiing in NZ and made plans to bring all of my gear with me, buy a car, and get some hours in on snow. At the time I did not know any other Nordic skiers who were going, so I was quite surprised to learn that I would be flatting (sharing an apartment) with Josh Harrington of Williams. When I found out that two Middlebury skiers, Nick Underwood and Jack Steele, were also studying at the same University, I knew it would be a good semester.


Plenty of training, adventures, and shenanigans have ensued as we have worked our way around the south island, making for a truly epic semester. On a more serious note I broke a metacarpal while sampling the mountain bike trails in Dunedin. After being out for four weeks I finally got the cast off and have begun seriously training again. One good thing about getting injured in New Zealand is Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC), which means that I won’t have to pay for any of my hospital or physiotherapy visits.

For this post I though that I would give some tips to other Nordic skiers considering studying abroad. If it seems as though some of them are a bit biased towards New Zealand that’s because they are...

Morgan presents: 
How to Make the Most Out of Your Study Abroad Experience

1) Pack right

They will definitely have clothes where you go, but probably not Triacs

2) Go somewhere with good training locations


Being stuck in a gym sucks; running on beaches is awesome

3) Go somewhere with good training partners


Training alone gets old fast: training with a group is much better

4) Buy a car


How else are you getting to the mountains?

5) Don't enroll in any Friday classes


No class = more time for training. Where would you rather be, outside or in a lecture hall?

6) Eat well


You can't complain about the food if you make it yourself!

7) Remember to switch up the training


You might as well while you're there

8) Have fun!


Not hard to do when you're skiing in July and August!

I’ll finish up with two of my own videos and three from Jack Steele (Middlebury)

Cheers,
Morgan

Also...


This is not what you're hand should look like after mountain biking...
























No comments: