Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Climb to Castle Race 2016

Hi again,

The SLUski blog is staying alive! This week, hear from Kate Andy, another freshman, and from Lucy and Jackie on the weekend adventures from the Climb to Castle Race! They are writing like blog pros already and did I mention..skiing like ones too?!

Hi everybody!  
My name is Kate Andy and I am a freshman on the team this year. I’m from Concord, New Hampshire and I am super excited to be a part of this group, and so far, training has been great.  I started skiing when I was in eighth grade, mainly because Erin Waters, a fellow SLU skier, convinced me to pick up the sport!  Now, I absolutely love to ski, and cannot believe I get to compete in a college uniform (something that has been my dream since I started).

This summer, I mostly stayed in Concord doing a lot of Nordic training and working.  I worked at an animal hospital, taking care of the boarded pets and helping with patient appointments.  There was always an adventure going on in the hospital, so that kept me plenty busy.  On the side, I did some volunteering at the Audubon Society, studying the bluebird boxes that were around the complex.  Aside from being dive-bombed by the angry parent birds, it was really interesting to watch the babies grow and eventually fledge from the nest.

As I started getting into the New York mood, I visited Niagara Falls for the first time and it was absolutely beautiful! I travelled into Canada for a little bit, and swam in Lake Ontario, which felt just like an ocean.  At the end of the summer, I visited New York City before heading out to the rural campus of SLU.

Niagara Falls
New Hampshire Sunset
With a few weeks of captains’ practices under my belt, I am really looking forward to what the season has to offer.  It feels so great to be training with a big group of people because I did most of my training on my own this summer.  Thank you to the upperclassmen and the six other freshmen that have done such a good job welcoming me onto the team! Go Saints!
-Kate


This weekend was the infamous Climb to the Castle! For those who don’t know, it is a 5-mile rollerski race up Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid. Racers are sure to be greeted with inclement weather, strong winds, a grueling morning, and one very long hill. It averages an 8% grade, and according to Whiteface the road has 2300’ of climbing in all. Needless to say, that is a lot of up!

The Saints had a strong day on the climb, with multiple age group podiums and a large showing. The girls went off first and the boys chased us up the mountain (eventually catching us and giving some good mid-race encouragement!) The finish line was surely a welcome sight, though with the extreme fog it was hard to know when it was coming. Overall, it was a great time, a good indicator of fitness, and a preview of the time we will spend together this winter. I think everyone’s highlight may have been the sandwiches at the Lakeview Deli after the race.


Now for some pictures:
Team post race! 
Pretty cool moment to see both former assistant coach, Adam Terko and current assistant coach, Liz both podium in their age group!!
Men's Start (NYSEF Photo)

Women's Start (NYSEF Photo)

Calvin '17 leading the SLU men to a 6th place finish! (NYSEF Photo)
Anna under the one slice of blue sky! She powered through to 23rd place (NYSEF Photo)  
Dana '18 and Kate '20 working together to come in strong with 11th and 12th

Jackie '20 hanging tough after leading the first 3 miles, finishing 4th overall

Asst Coach Liz hopped in, crushing a 7th overall (NYSEF Photo)

Lucy '20 seen here working her V1, finishing 6th overall

Madi '20 skied strong for an 18th place (NYSEF Photo)

Ryan '20 gutting it out for 17th (NYSEF Photo)

Ruben '19 flying around the Lake Placid turn, finishing in 10th (NYSEF Photo)


FasterSkier article here
Climb to Castle Race Photos here
Race Results here

Thank you to Dave and Nick for manning the camera all day.  Thank you to Marge and NYSEF for putting on this race for the 10th year in a row! And lastly, thank you to you all for your continued support!

-Lucy and Jackie

This coming weekend is Family weekend and we are looking forward to spending some quality time with our families and meeting new faces as well. The alpine and nordic teams are having a ski sale on Saturday 10am-1pm in Leithead Fieldhouse- be sure to stop by and say hello!

Thanks!-Dana

No comments: