Monday, February 26, 2018

The Last For Captain Dana

By Dana Hatton '18

The last of the last

I want to thank everyone for their hard work and dedication to this team, not just those this season, but in all of my four years with SLUSki. We wouldn't have had as much success without those who have supported and contributed to our team.  It means a lot to me; as a Senior, I feel especially grateful to have been a part of this family. There's been a lot of ups and downs, but also a lot of smiles and laughter. This sport is not easy and there are a lot of factors that play into how well we do as individuals and as a team, no matter how big or small of an impact they may have had.  I can't imagine my time on this team in any other light. It's the memories with you all that I'll cherish forever. Many thanks for being a part of that.

Girls team gathers at the end
 PC: India Harvey '18
Last one Fast one
PC: India Harvey
My last race was probably the best and will be one for the books.  I had such a good time this past weekend, and the crowds on the hills were very enthusiastic. It's awesome when all you are focused on is getting up the hill in a race, but there's so much cheering that it becomes background noise.  Usually in a ski race I tend to hear the names that people cheer for, but on this day, it was just a loud roar.  It was so cool to see and be a part of an exciting race, especially knowing when your teammates are having stellar days too.  Kate caught up to me on the second lap and we skied for the majority of the second and last laps together! It was awesome to be able to work together and then see her cruise by me into the finish.  Dottie worked her butt off and came speeding up to me and Kate in the third lap and also whizzed by us at the finish.  With both Kate and Dottie falling down, it was pretty impressive that they both held their races together and beat me! They placed 36th and 38th, respectively. I wouldn't have it any other way though. One of my goals for this season was to get into the top 35. I was in that position for awhile until a girl from Williams came out of nowhere and again passed us at the finish. I was just out of 35, but knowing I was right there is something I am proud of. (More on results and this weekend in next post)


Hugs at the finish
PC: India 
I want to thank the boys for cheering for me, and not just GH, George, Ben and Nathaniel this weekend, but all of them on all the other weekends.  It's nice to know your team supports you, and you guys rock! It was quite a surprise coming down the third finger (for those that don't know, that's what we call the third loop at Middlebury?) and seeing their shirts off with the letters of my name on their chests! I couldn't stop laughing to myself and I can't imagine what the spectators thought when I came into the stadium to go out for another lap were thinking when they saw me with a big smile on my face...in the middle of the race... maybe it was just a grimace of pain?

The best boys
PC: India


It’s with a team that becomes so close and can push each other so much that fosters an environment such as ours to develop motivated skiers like us.  It’s pretty cool to see how much everyone on this team loves skiing….and wanting to race, and wanting to be on the carnival team so badly. It truly is remarkable.  
Feeling the love, thanks girls!
PC: India


I’ll do my best to keep my word, but I'll always support SLUSki for years down the road.  It has impacted my life in ways beyond what I could have imagined.  I can’t wait to see what this team does in the future. Remember to always push a little extra over the top of each hill, and I’ll see you on the trails.

No comments: