Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Lots of Firsts, and Photos Galore! - The Harvard Carnival (and JNQ results)

Performance of the week right here
We're catching up here, guys :) A couple weeks ago, we had our first carnival. EXCITING! As Kai would say, "Not gonna lie", I was a bit sad it was my last first carnival. However, that was totally made up for by the joy it brought me to see Charlie, Robyn, Meg, and Jaden race their first first carnival (Cam and Natalie had to wait until the next week, because they were too busy working on qualifying for JNs)! I was so impressed with all of them. The EISA circuit is a truly special time, and I love that everyone is at their own spot in the journey. It was also Harvard's first carnival!
Emily having fun skating!

Ben gliding it out

On the whole, the carnival weekend could be summed up as about on par. There were highlights, there were low-lights, and we know we can do better, but we also should be happy with ourselves for dusting off the cobwebs and throwing down a solid set of performances! Also, it was really cold. So, that just made life tough.
Matt crushing it
Meg hauling it up Screaming Mimi
Jaden sending

Brian working the open skate

Graham looking speedy
Gabby, our V1 queen
On Friday, we had a 5/10k skate. It was MAYBE race legal temperatures for the men. However, it wasn't as slow as I thought it might be, which was a welcome surprise. Tim was the star of the day, having a totally breakthrough day and scoring his first NCAA points! I was happy to hear for possibly the first time that Emily had fun in the skate race. Charlie scored for the team in the start of what I'm sure will be an illustrious EISA career. And Robbie made that top 6 in her first race back from a year off. Full results, team scores, splits etc. will be linked below.
Charlie having a stellar start to his college career
Princess Steffi, looking strong
Robyn's back at it and SO strong!

Kate getting the groove
Jordan's back from France YAYYYY!

Jackie, the best climber/closer in the EISA :)
Brian looking strong

On Saturday, we had a 15k/20k classic mass start. It was perhaps the most aggressive mass start I've ever been in, but everyone survived. A few falls on the team, but nothing major. It was nice to see that a lot of the girls worked together to move up through the pack. Kate rebounded from a tough skate race to an awesome classic race. Charlie had another great one, and Graham also crushed it (getting exactly the same place as the day before despite not being a fan of distance skiing). I was pleased to even out my skate and classic skiing, (just trust me, it used to be really rough), getting a whole weekend in the top 20 of the NCAA scoring for the first time.
Mass starts are crazy things.
Brian in the pack

Graham fighting for it
Jackie and Kate working together!
Jordan looking soooo smooth and speedy (and cool red hair!!)

Ian powering up the hill

Tim's ice beard remains
Goober's flying!
Charlie modeling a proper skate push in a classic race, and ETown reminds us IS legal
Me, hoping the finish is realllllly soon


RESULTS - everything you could ever want

Also, results from the Gore JNQ. We're so proud of Cam and Natalie for working toward JN's in Truckee - my favorite place in the world! Also, thank you to Jordi for coaching!
JNQ Men's Classic
JNQ Women's Classic
JNQ Older Men's Skate
JNQ Older Women's Skate


Ben and Matt working together!
Meg, the endurance machine

Jaden crushing it
Emily loving that it's a hard wax day
Steph, doing what she does best (it's a seriously killer double pole)
Robbie is Rossi royalty, so she gets cool stuff and goes really fast


On the whole, I think we were all happy to hang out at the food table, but also happy to get back to our overly hot dorm rooms. Definitely chilly. Thank you so much to the Townsends and Gwen for hosting us, especially on such short notice. It was lovely as always. The parents put together one of the best food tables I have ever seen, so thank you to them as well. A HUGE thank you to Charlie's mom, Sarah, as well for traveling a long way and braving the cold to support us and take wonderful photos (all of the ones in the blog are from her). She is clearly amazing, because she managed to take a race photo of me that won't scare away potential recruits. Stay tuned for news about the UVM Carnival, aka Craftsbury Round 2. The women had a breakout day!
I've been told I take the worst race photos of anyone on the team - so I was so impressed and happy that Charlie's mom caught me looking like I know what I'm doing :)

Usually I do weird things like close my eyes and stick my tongue out...

More photos available here. There were so many photographers; thank you to all!

Sarah Reinhardt
Men's 10k Skate
Women's 5k Skate
Men's 20k Classic
Women's 15k Classic

Flying Point Road
Men's 20k Classic
Women's 15k Classic

Gil Talbot Photography
Skate Day
More Skate Day


No comments: