Sunday, September 13, 2020

Grand Greetings from George!

Hey there, I'm George Gowdy (Some people call me Greg). I'm new to the team this year. I’m a sophomore from Walpole, New Hampshire, right on the Connecticut River.  I live on my family’s dairy; we milk around thirty cows. Currently, I’m interested in Environmental Studies and Education at SLU.

Skiing started for me when I was seven; I can remember watching the Vancouver Olympics and then going out to the back field and doing as many laps as I could until it was too dark out. I went to Fall Mountain Regional High School, where I ran and skied. The ski team there has always been tight knit, thanks to strong support from the community and some extremely hard-working coaches. The team's infamous cow-print uniforms have been around since the 1990’s. Skiing may not be the most popular sport at FM, but we always had fun sending it around the trails. 

Yours truly, my brother, and our friend Gabe at a race at Dublin

You can’t go wrong in a one-piece cow suit

Last year, I ran cross-country for SLU, and raced on my own to earn a spot on the ski team. Going into my Freshman year, I knew skiing at SLU was a stretch; the EISA is super competitive.. but here I am. Last year, I qualified for JN’s for the Mid-A team; it was a dream come true, for sure. Covid-19 threw a big wrench into the 15k; hopefully, things will improve by next March. I would’ve been on campus this fall getting ready for XC season, and last year I was the alternate for NCAA’s in Kentucky, but I plan on taking the bull by the horns next season. I'm currently off campus for this semester. 

Surprisingly calm despite a huge pile-up at Connecticut College

Just thinking about winter has been getting my heartrate up. I’m stoked to get back on snow and to get after it. I’m super grateful for all the help and support I’ve gotten over the years. The next few years at SLU are going to be full of hard work and a healthy dose of endorphins. 

Looking forward to some sticky klister fingers,

George Gowdy

No comments: