Thursday, July 17, 2008

East Road Time Trail

The plan was to get up early and get it over with. My alarm went off at 7 but I was still tired and lacking motivation. This lack of motivation seems to happen to me when I’m coming off a few big weeks (29.5 hrs in the previous two weeks) and beginning a recovery week. I usually don’t have a lack of motivation during a big week which is good. So I shut my alarm off and reset it to eight. When it went off again, it was clear that I wasn’t going to be able to work up the motivation to get up and do it right then, so I went back to bed. When I finally got up I decided that I had to do something in the morning. By this point though, it was too late (too hot) to do the TT. I ended up getting a decent strength session in with a friend, which I was planning on doing that night. I went to “work” for most of the day and when I came home I still didn’t have much motivation to do the TT. Part of the reason may be because no one else was doing it with me. I dragged myself up to East Road with the plan to just see how I felt and go from there. A note on East Road, I’ve roller skied it too many times to count. It’s just an out and back for a total of 4.2 miles. I’m pretty sure I know ever bump and crack in the pavement, you get the idea. However, I have times on this TT for the last 3 years and earlier this summer so I thought it would be a good idea to do it. Anyway, I felt good doing an easy ski so I did some warm up intervals and felt good again. So I decided to do it. Thirty seconds into it I knew that my time was going to be pretty good. My legs felt great, full of pop. I looked down at my watch at the first mile, which is mostly gradual uphill- 3:58, I knew I was skiing well. When I’m skiing well I don’t dread the hills, I don’t cringe in the pain, the pain even feels different, it’s a pain that I can deal with and push through, I just think about skiing faster. I hate it when I’m not skiing well; I just want to be finished with the race, the pain hurts more, I dread the hill etc. Anyway I was flying up the hills V2ing all of them. This was pretty cool, not only because I had never done this before in this particular TT, but because I have been working on my V2 a lot this year and it felt great. I ended up doing the last mile in 3:47 and ended with a time of 17:19. Four weeks ago I did this same TT in 18:35; I was 1:16 faster! This time was also 11 seconds faster than any other time on this course. Hopefully this is a good sign that my training is working and paying off well, I don’t really know what else it would be. The rest of this week I’m going to do some easy training and take it easy before starting another big training period.

No comments: