Sunday, December 1, 2019

An Update from Coach Hatton


An Update from Coach Hatton


Hello All!

Coach Hatton here. As you may be aware, I've been working with the SLU team this season, and things are looking good! You may recognize my name; I wrote on this blog when I was an athlete on the team my four years at SLU! However, I've taken over for Coach Kyle and I have big shoes to fill! All the previous Assistant Coaches I've had have done an amazing job here, and I've been trying to take what I've learned from them and apply it in my own way now. I've got to say I'm still learning so much, but the whole team and Head Coach Ethan are very understanding, and I hope they are learning too.
Bounding Intervals at Higley!

Morning Circuits!
If you haven't caught on to the previous blogs written by members of the team yet, here's an overview of the team so far. We welcome two sophomore women, three first year women, and three first year men to the team this season. We have a large team of 21 total, but it has made things exciting! They are a great group. Our team roster is up on the website here. We have athletes from NH, ME, NY, VT, UT, CO, MN, ID, MT, and Canada! An awesome range of diversity!

From what I've noticed, they have really focused on making sure they are aware of their goals, sharing them with their teammates, and verbalizing what they want to accomplish in each skiing session. I've even seen some great positivity, and determination to make things better, mentally and physically among themselves and as a group. This is what makes a successful team, one that is more cohesive and understanding of each other. I'm hoping that this energy continues onward throughout the season!
Graham at the top of our hike!

Early Skiing in Lake Placid (Photo by Emily)
As for the training so far, we've had some very productive sessions. That's not to say there haven't been some not so great ones too! We live and we learn, right? I've been impressed with the team and how they have handled their training thus far. Always asking to do more and yet, also knowing when it's right to step back and say enough. It makes me quite excited for what is yet to come.



Ian Skiing up the Whiteface Toll Road
(Photo by Brian)
Incredible Skiing at Foret in Canada
(Photo by Emily)
We've officially made it through the fall season by doing everything from hiking, rollerskiing, rollerski agility, hill bounding, trail maintenance, running, strength, spenst,
circuit workouts, and even hopping in the pool.








We just got back from a great on snow camp in Canada over Thanksgiving break! The weather was mild and the snow was great! We mainly skied at Foret, but were able to get to Mont Sainte Anne as well. These athletes put in the hours everyday, with double sessions, morning runs, strength, and even a 10K Skate time trial against some other EISA teams, which made for a tiring, yet fun and productive training camp. Results here.
One pole work at snowy Mont Sainte
Anne over Thanksgiving break!

Next up is some easier training, then onto hopefully.. the NYSEF Opener in Lake Placid, followed by the NorAm/ Candy Cane Cup at Nakkertok in Canada, continued with the Mid-Atlantic JN Qualifier in Lake Placid! Before we know it, the Carnival season will be upon us! We hope to see you out there!  Stop us on the trails and say hi! Stay tuned for more updates from the team!

-Coach Hatton

No comments: