Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Cupcake Eater Turned Nordie

By: Matt Manwaring '21

Hi folks,

            My name is Matt Manwaring and I reside in the cow pastures of New Hampshire. Back in the homeland, I participated in soccer, skiing, and track. I could go on about life back in New Hampshire, but we will just skip ahead to the good stuff. At my high school, I currently hold the record for most Shaw’s cupcakes consumed in one school day with a grand total of 24. While I am on the topic of school records, I also hold the school record in the 4x800m relay for between the leg handoffs. Another proud accomplishment of mine is failing the driver’s test, because I stopped at a red light. Don’t worry, I did not sign up for the training to drive the team van. In my spare time, I practice being a crossing guard just in case college doesn’t quite workout for me. Perhaps the most important tidbit about me is that I am not a state champion, unlike our hometown girls’ soccer team. As for training with these fellow skiers up here in Canton, it has been absolutely surreal. There is a moment in every single workout where the realization that I am actually out training with some highly driven skiers occurs. There isn’t much more you can ask for besides that. Well, of course, besides these pictures of my accomplishments:

Matt M racing to gold

No comments: