Thursday, September 14, 2017

"Hi, I'm Tim!" (Shakes hand)

By: Tim Cunningham '21
“Hi, I’m Tim!”

At this point I’d try to shake the hand of whoever it is that is reading this, but unfortunately, I cannot because I’m eating something. And this is only a message, but why limit yourself? I’m a freshman on the men’s Nordic Ski Team here at SLU and some of the things I like to do outside of skiing and training include running, hiking, running when I should really be hiking, and socializing with the interesting saints of 2017. If you ever decide to make food, I personally really enjoy a good chicken Peruvian, or just pineapple. Either one is fine, if it’s the chicken Peruvian.

I spent most of my time this summer working construction with my father. It’s fantastic work; I highly recommend it. I did take a few weeks for myself though. June 26-28th I went to Maine with some of my graduate friends to hike “the Great One” Mt. Katahdin. This was by far my favorite 9-hour hike of all time. Did I mention I like to hike yet? Well, now you know, again.

At the end of my summer I got to compete in biathlon for the first time, which was fun, at the National Guard base in Jericho VT. If there is something better than skate skiing it’s probably skate skiing with a rifle and getting crushed by Susan Dunkley. It really doesn’t get much better than that. Although maybe skate skiing on snow is pretty far up there too. Just not classic though. Eww.     
That’s all in the past though. Now it’s about crushing those hours with the team at captains practice. Which has been a real highlight truly. I would say the two best workouts I’ve done would be this past weekend’s set: an uphill skate rollerski interval session, and a 2:45 min trail run that blew my mind. That doesn’t go into much detail so I guess if you want to know more you’ll just need to come check us out.      

No comments: