Sunday, June 15, 2008

Post from Adam Terko '12



Hey everyone! I'll be a freshman next year, and I've tried to follow the
blog as much as possible-SLUSKI looks like an awesome team and I'm
really excited to be a part of it. My season this year was hectic, but
it ended on a great note as my friend John and I got to spend a ton of
time working the desk at Sleepy Hollow, where we train all winter. It
basically meant getting paid for stacking wood, watching Bill Koch
videos from the 80's and enjoying tons of sick spring skiing. I took a
break on a class trip to Italy, but when I came back I started training
in full force. I was getting in the most quality training I've ever had:
I finally got a new bike, I found a bunch of new running and hiking
trails, and rollerskiing felt better than ever. I even ran the Vermont
City half-marathon, like some other SLU skiers (I am NOT a runner, but
it was still great). Last Saturday though, I messed up my ankle running
down Camel's Hump on a hike/run OD. After a few days of limping around
with a ski-pole cane and using a skate boot as a makeshift cast, I made
it to the doctors. The X-ray came up negative for broken bones, but I've
been relegated to the upper body until at least the end of next week.
I've been living off strength workouts and the homemade rollerboard and
single-stick machines for a while, but I can finally double pole again.
I guess that's good, because I'm pretty scrawny and one of my summer
goals was to look more ripped in spandex. I'll have to wait a while to
run again, but I should be able to get back to some biking soon too.
There's enough stuff to do around here, so I don't think my body has
suffered too much. As for the rest of my summer, it's looking like work,
training, sleeping, training, and playing volleyball with a bunch of my
friends at the beach. At least that's what it's been so far. I'll be
training with the Mansfield Nordic club this summer, where I know
Kristen has worked before, and Hunter is now one of the summer coaches.
Sam Martell and Caroline Carpenter (my fellow teammate and classmate)
will also be there, so SLUSKI is well-represented in here in VT. Hope
everyone is having a great summer!
-Adam

Pictures:
John and I getting in some spring skiing (I'm in the white hat)

My sprained and fat foot

No comments: