Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summer

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone’s summer has been going well so far. I’m living and training at home this summer down in Southern Vermont. I have a pretty sweet “job,” caretaking an estate down the road. I have to check the houses daily and mow the lawn once a week. It’s pretty much a steal, it doesn’t require very much work and it pays really well. I’m also volunteering at the local bike shop once a week, learning how to work on bikes and stuff, pretty sweet.

Anyway as far as training goes, I looked at my training over last year and my results and I decided that I’m going to try and train more like I did during my senior year of high school. I unfortunately skied faster that year than I did last year. Doing this means running a lot more, more volume, and a little less intensity. Hopefully my body will respond to this training again. However training’s been a little frustrating for me so far this summer. The first week home for SLU I had my wisdom teeth out, I’m pretty pumped that I will never have to do that again. I got an infection from that, and then I pulled my groin a few weeks later somehow. Then last week I got this weird pain in my side running. Last year I went to the hospital for the same thing, they never figured out what it was. I’ve managed to follow my training plan pretty well somehow and I feel like I have a nice base going but it’s been frustrating. Luckily I think everything’s pretty much healed now. I did some running intervals this morning and I’m going to go out for an easy roller ski this afternoon. So hopefully I’m all set to get in a lot of quality training in the next few months before going back to school.

I hope everyone else is doing well; if anyone’s ever down in Southern Vermont for some reason, let me know I would love to train with someone.

-Steve

No comments: