Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Up to the County


So I'm finaly up north in Aroostook county, or just the county for short, especially since its about 1/5 the area of the state. I'm living in an old farm house just out side of Caribou with four other skiers who are all probably here for the whole year. Unfortunately, the house is a bit of a mess right now since all the pipes froze and burst last winter. Since the damage is still being repaired, we spent almost all of today cleaning so the house will be somewhat live-able. Despite the long delay in getting up here, training has been going well mostly; the last week had a lot of travelling so it was hard to do much. On top of that, I had to get stitches in my right foot for a cut, so that had me off my feet a little too. Before all that though I got to do some good hiking while I was home, including two trips to Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington. The first trip was with Jake and the skiing was great (Jake took the picture at the top of Hillman's Highway); the second time was on June 3rd with a friend from high school and the weather was less than stellar (it rained hard after the first run) but there was still top to bottom skiing in left gully and the snow was surprisingly good. There were a couple of other skiers there and they thought there would still be skiable snow on July 1, well see about that, but I think I'm done for now. Besides, I've got plenty to do here now; along with good training, the county apparently has great stream fishing, so I brought my fly rod up. Now I just need to a job.


No comments: